Thursday, July 31, 2014

Recipes Inspired by The Hundred-Foot Journey - What Bite Takes You Home?



Helen Mirren stars in the DreamWorks production of The Hundred-Food Journey, coming to theaters on August 8. When an Indian restaurant opens in the French village of Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val just 100 feet from an established French restaurant, it seems at first that the two cannot peacefully co-exist. We'll have to see the movie to find out whether they can resolve their differences, but in the meantime...

A theme in the movie is "every bite takes you home", so what foods remind you of home or take you back to a special memory or time of your life?

For me, it would probably be my Aunt Char's potato salad and noodle salad. I typically do not care for this type of food, but when my aunt makes these two dishes, they are divine. They take me back to Easter dinners of my childhood, when we always knew Aunt Char's potato salad and noodle salad (as well as her rainbow Jell-O) would be on the menu. These days she doesn't make her specialties as often, but when she does, I am in heaven. I don't even have the recipes, so I can't share them with you. Maybe someday I'll bite the bullet and try to make them on my own. Somehow I don't think they'll taste quite the same.

Food Network star Chef Bar Arneson has been inspired by The Hundred-Foot Journey to create six new recipes, and you can find them all right here. To get a better view of a recipe, click on it and then use the CTRL and + buttons on your keyboard to magnify the image.










4 comments:

Liz Parker said...

That BBQ chicken recipe sounds yummy. I bet the mint lassi is also interesting, I usually like mango lassi's.

Unknown said...

I'm with Elizabeth, that BBQ chicken recipe does sound very yummy! I'm not real big on mint, but the Mint Edamame Soup sounds interesting.

DetroitDuchess said...

I have a recipe from my Grandmother that I insist that we have at every holiday. It doesn't feel like Christmas or Thanksgiving without it!

Unknown said...

I'm definitely most excited to try the potato and green bean curry. My family would love that.