Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Piece of Heaven

Crazy busy, that's where I've been. Play dates, a school concert, shopping, cleaning, laundry, driving, a preschool meeting, coffee dates, reading, planning, cooking, learning to crochet, birthday parties...the list goes on.

This past weekend we had some special guests - 3 little girls who stayed with us while their parents and older sister went on an exciting star-studded trip to Toronto. I should have taken some pictures, but I was too busy with several of the items from the above list. We had a fantastic weekend, and I'm pretty sure all 6 girls were thrilled to have unlimited time together for two whole days and nights. Notice I didn't mention Connor, who spent most of the time he was home (I kindly arranged a sleepover for him Saturday night, plus he had a birthday party Sunday afternoon) hiding out in his bedroom, only coming out to eat and use the bathroom. I maintain that someday he will be overjoyed to have our home overtaken by pretty girls, but for now...sorry son. We do love you.

One of our guests just happens to be a talented (10-year old) crocheter, and she kindly and patiently walked me through crocheting a flower. 
I have since done a few more, and I think I'm getting the hang of it. I am perhaps unreasonably excited by this slight accomplishment, but there you have it. What I will do with these flowers I'm crocheting remains a mystery, but I know one person who might like some to put on hats for cancer patients for her charitable organization she is just getting up and running, Creating Smiles For Hope.

Spring Break is upon us next week, however much it does not feel like Spring. Last year we spent a few days during the break at Hocking Hills State Park in Ohio, which was seriously one of the most magical places we have ever visited. We thought about returning this year, but then remembered the dangerously lacking safety standards and the fact that we now have a very feisty and high energy almost-2-year old who would not take kindly to being toted around in a Baby Bjorn. Nor would my back take kindly to it. So Hocking Hills will have to wait for another year. The kids and I will be taking a short trip with my mother-in-law, and hoping for some kinda almost decent weather so we can at least be outside some of the time.


What I'm really daydreaming about is another of my most favorite places in the whole wide world, Captiva Island, Florida. We haven't been there in a few years, and oh how I miss it. I would like to be lying on its beach right now, reading a book and watching dolphins frolic in the waves. You can walk from the boat docks on one side of the island, where manatees are almost within arm's reach, to the beach side of the island, which is literally covered in beautiful sea shells, in about 5-10 minutes. Sea urchins, starfish, sand dollars, crabs...all right there.


Lucy sitting on thousands of shells

Back when we had 3 kids
One of our many beach finds
I would love to share more pictures of Captiva Island, but naturally I can't seem to find anymore at the moment. It's a miracle, really, that I found a disc with these few on it (at 2 o'clock in the morning). I love that there are no McDonald's or any other fast food, no Walmart or any other big chain store. I love having breakfast outside at the Key Lime Bistro, I love the Christmas tree on the beach at The Mucky Duck and I love ordering 5 kinds of cake from The Bubble Room and having a little taste of each. You know how some vacations don't really seem like vacations at all, and after a few days you're more than ready to go home? Well after 2 weeks on Captiva Island, I am ready to stay for 2 more weeks. At least. I think I could live there, even though it's a 45 minute drive to the mainland (and groceries that don't cost an arm and a leg). I could just alternate between pool and beach, take turns at all the wonderful restaurants, browse the little shops, stare at the sea life, take a boat ride every now and again...for a very long time. Someday, Captiva Island, I'll be back.  


***Don't forget to enter my Nutella giveaway!! The deadline is March 31st!***

2 comments:

ThurberGang said...

I just think you're so great. . . and you definitely deserve a vacation!!!

alyaia75 said...

Thanks Hilary...I think you're so great too!!