Monday, September 5, 2011

Boo.

Today is the official last day of summer break. Tomorrow morning is going to be a rude awakening, since none of us have been practicing getting up early. We've been busy getting clothes and school supplies ready, and I've been filling out the mountain of paperwork that (already) has to go to school tomorrow. 


The kids are getting excited to see their friends and get back into the swing of things. Lucy can't wait to start kindergarten. I'm happy they're happy, but I'm really not ready for them to go back. I always hate to see the end of summer, but this year for some reason I feel even more sad about the beginning of school. I feel like I'm being dragged, kicking and clawing, to the school doors. I don't want to go!


We signed Lucy up for half days, thinking she is not quite ready to be gone all day. When we feel she is ready, we have the option to switch her to full days. She'll stay with the same class and teacher. After going to a meet and greet with her teacher last week, she was disappointed when she realized she will not be staying at school all day. She said she will go half day for two days, and that's it. Maybe she'll be ready sooner than we thought, but I'd still like to give her a couple months to acclimate to going to school every day before she stays all day. She's almost five, but she's most definitely still my baby.


Chris will miss the first week of school chaos because he's in Florida hunting gators. Seriously. (He doesn't actually hunt, but he's going along for the ride with his dad and brother). Here's hoping he comes back fully intact.


I am so doom and gloom lately, I have to try to think of some positive aspects of back to school.

  • Running errands with only one kid. I admit, this is a big one.
  • One-on-one time with Mattie.
  • Only one kid home to mess up the house during the mornings. 
  • A relatively quiet house.
  • Going on field trips with the kids. I love to chaperon field trips.
  • Getting back into a schedule. I'm fighting this, but it's a good thing.
  • Meeting my friends for coffee or breakfast and only having one kid with me (or none if I can convince someone to babysit...).
  • Sweaters. I'm not a fan of the cold, but I do like my sweaters.
Alright, that's the best I can do right now. What about you? If you have kids heading back to school this week, are you sad or thrilled about the beginning of a new school year? 

No comments: