Sunday, March 7, 2010

Bucket List

I have no desire to ever go sky diving or bungee jumping. But there are many things I'd like to accomplish and experience in my life. This is my partial bucket list, in no particular order:

  • Become a Foster Parent  I have long wanted to be a foster parent, and one day when my kids are a bit older, I hope to really do it. When I tell people I want to foster, they usually say it would be too hard to give the kids back. It would be hard, but I think I could do it. There are so many unfit foster parents out there, I'd like our home to be a safe haven for a few kids. Reading White Oleander definitely helped convince me that I really want to do this. 
  • Participate in the Breast Cancer 3-Day  A few years ago, I signed up to walk in the Breast Cancer 3-Day. I wanted to walk in memory of my dad's sister Caroline, who died of breast cancer before I had the chance to meet her. But unfortunately I did not raise enough money to participate. I'm glad I helped generate many donations to a great cause, but I'd like to try again and actually go through with the walk. This will have to wait until at least next year, when Mathilda is a little older and I can dedicate a lot of time to training.
  • Get Contact Lenses and Maybe even Lasik Surgery  I'm tired of wearing glasses. I've been tired of wearing glasses for a long time. I don't like how I look with glasses. One of these days I'm going to order some contact lenses. Of course, it would be nice to have vision insurance first, but that may never happen. Eventually I would also like to have Lasik surgery and never worry about needing glasses or contacts again. 
  • Live Somewhere Outside of Michigan  My mother gave me the gift of wanderlust. She took me out west to live as a child. Now that I'm a grown up, I'd like to live someplace else again, at least for a little while.
  • Scuba Dive  I don't know if I can conquer my fears for this one, but I would really like to explore under the sea at least once in my life. I may have to settle for snorkeling, but maybe sometime I will have the courage and opportunity to scuba dive.
  • Take my Kids on a Major, Life Changing Trip  My real dream is to take my kids on a trip around the world. I know it is possible because I have read about many other families who have done it. Money and practicalities will be hard factors to overcome. I hope to at least take my kids to volunteer in a third world country.
  • Master Sewing  My aunt gave me her old sewing machine a few years ago and I discovered that I really enjoy sewing. I really don't know how to do much of anything though, and I'd love to learn a lot more.
  • Learn to Knit or Crochet  I have been wanting to do this for ages. 
  • Donate my Hair  This one will be happening very soon, as soon as I grow my hair a little bit more and get myself a haircut.
  • Go on a Zip Line  This one really scares me, but it looks like so much fun too! I hope if I ever have the opportunity, I'll be brave enough to give it a try.
I'll definitely be adding to this list! I hope to refer to it often and actually start checking things off.

No comments: