Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Fantasy Destination: Cruising the Open Sea

I've never been on a cruise. The most time I've ever spent on a boat is a few hours. I've always been a little nervous at the thought of going on a cruise. What if I get sick? What if there's a storm? What if I'm totally claustrophobic at the thought of being way out in the middle of the ocean, with no land in sight? However, just about everyone I've talked to who has been cruising loves it. Maybe I could be persuaded to take a cruise vacation. I like the idea of being out on the open sea, and getting to visit different ports. I also hear the food is pretty much amazing, and that the entertainment is great.

Although I have never stepped foot on a cruise ship, when I think of cruise vacations certain names come to mind, like Carnival Cruises. I think of The Love Boat (do you have that song stuck in your head now like I do?), deck pools, ladies wearing fancy beaded dresses, endless buffet tables, and rows and rows of lounge chairs. I have to admit, it does sound pretty fun and relaxing. I love the ocean. I love getting dressed up. I love food. I love laying out in the sunshine, preferably with a good book and a cold fruity drink. And I love seeing new things.

There are a few aspects of cruising, such as with Carnival Cruises, that are particularly appealing to me. 

  • I'd love the port excursions. Snorkeling, beaches, shopping, swimming with dolphins, horse back riding on the beach...all of these activities sound like so much fun. Well I don't know about the horse back riding one. It totally looks like fun and sounds like fun, but I don't think it's any big secret that I'm a chicken. I went horseback riding with Bethany for the first time in my adult life last summer, and I'm not so sure I want to do that again. Ever. But throw in the beach element and there is a remote chance that I could be talked into it.
  • My children would really enjoy the kids activities that many cruise lines offer. As long as none of them are in clingy moods. But that never happens. I really do like the idea of getting to be on a family vacation, yet having opportunities to spend grown up time with my husband.
  • Since I love live entertainment, the shows would be great fun to watch.
  • I would love having lots of choices when it comes to meal time. Different options for dining venues, as well as many menu items to choose from (or pick from a buffet), and being able to eat pretty much whenever I wanted without having to hand over my credit card - all of this is appealing to me.
I'm not sure where I'd want to go on a cruise. Except that, since I want to go pretty much everywhere, I'd probably like to cruise just about anywhere. Ship lines like Carnival Cruises offer many option when it comes to destinations. Would I choose the Caribbean, or Alaska, or Europe? 

What about you? Have you ever been on a cruise? Where did you go, and did you love it? Would you do it again? What was the best thing about it? Comment below and tell me all about your cruising experience!

This post has been brought to you by www.cruisevacationcenter.com.

1 comment:

Diane and Chad said...

Caribbean on Royal Caribbean...awesome, Alaska on Princess....fantastic! Love cruises:)