Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Get the Kids Cooking and Enter the Ben's Beginners Contest

Uncle Ben's U.S.A.I like to get my kids involved in the meal planning and preparation around here. Bethany likes to actually do a little cooking, which was initially difficult for me to allow because I have inherited a little bit of paranoia. But I believe in fostering independence, so when she shows interest in learning how to cook something, I take the cue and teach her. Connor's "cooking" is currently limited to using the toaster oven, but it's a start! He and Lucy also help with prep work, like gather ingredients and stirring. Mattie likes to feel involved too, so if she sees the other kids helping then she's got to get in there and do her part as well. I don't want my kids to be afraid of the kitchen, or to leave home with only rudimentary knowledge of how to turn one of those do-hickeys on (you know, the burners).

Teaching my kids about healthy choices is an important extension of helping out in the kitchen. Dinner table conversation often includes discussions about why certain foods are healthier than others, the health benefits of certain foods, or why some foods are better to be consumed only once in awhile as a treat. We try hard to implement lots of natural and organic foods, whole grains, low fat food, and fruits and vegetables. For months we were letting the kids take turns choosing a kid's pick dinner one night a week, to help get them involved and invested in what they were eating. Our evenings have turned into a nightly circus production more recently, but we intend to get back to kid's pick nights because they really enjoy it and it adds some fun to our family meal planning.

Speaking of meal planning, I mentioned recently that I am working on a meal planning board to hang in our kitchen to help me stay organized with meals and to encourage us to cook more homemade meals. Production has stalled, but I have quite a bit done. Every weekend, as a family we will decide which meals to prepare that week. The kids will have a say in the planning, and they will also be given plenty of opportunities to help out. I'm not a natural cook by any means, and often my biggest challenge is that I don't know what to make. Then before you know it, everyone is eating scrambled eggs or cereal for dinner. That's okay every now and again, but hopefully utilizing a meal planning board will help me. Within the year, I'd like to get Bethany and Connor preparing a simple meal for the family once or twice a month, to get them even more kitchen savvy!

Chris and I are big fans of rice, and we like to include it in lots of meals. Right now, Uncle Ben's is running a contest called Ben's Beginners. They are looking for parents of children ages 5-12 to submit a video of themselves and their kids working together to prepare a rice-based meal. The prizes include $20,000 cash, an appearance on the Rachael Ray Show, and a $50,000 cafeteria makeover for the winner's school! You can visit the Uncle Ben's Facebook page for more information.

Do you like to involve your kids in the kitchen? How do they like to help? 

I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Uncle Ben’s blogging program, for 6,000 My SocialMoms Rewards Points. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

No comments: