Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Learning the Ropes in Blogging

Even after years of blogging, much of the jargon and technical aspects of my "art" are lost on me. Although I feel that I have accomplished quite a bit, not being all that tech savvy, I certainly have quite a bit to learn. Just when I think I have things figured out, something disappears from my blog. For example, my little row of connect with me buttons (social media, email, RSS) that was at the top of my right side bar is gone. I don't understand where they have gone. When I go into my page layout, they are there. When I view my blog, they are not there. They use to be there. But they are apparently lost in cyber space. And I don't even begin to know how to figure out how to make them appear again.

Although blogging has been around for awhile and has become pretty widespread, I still feel that bloggers are kind of internet pioneers, picking our way along the trail and figuring things out as we go. One of these things I don't get, but probably should make an effort to understand, is how to effectively build a mobile audience with my blog. Do I need a joomla mobile plugin on my blog? What does that mouthful even mean? Um, I'm not quite sure, actually. I do know that more and more people are on the go, and they're multi-tasking, and they're accessing websites via mobile devices more than ever. What I don't know is whether my blog is optimally equipped for mobile devices.

I try to look this stuff up online, and my eyes start to glaze over. Can you say information overload? Maybe it's just a matter of time before blogging becomes a college curriculum of its own. I know my local community college offers a few classes on topics like SEO (I'm utterly clueless here too), so maybe it's time to look into them.

If you're a blogger, how do you keep up to date on everything going on in the tech world?

1 comment:

Jilleen said...

when you find out, please share. I am in the same boat as you. not to mention do I FB, Twitter, Pinterest, Stumble in, etc everything? It is very overwhelming.