Monday, January 21, 2013

Ology: Shopping Safer and Greener at Walgreens



I'm at Walgreens all the time. The extent of my visits, however, is usually a brief chat with whomever is working the drive-thru pharmacy window. We are always in such a hurry, and I am beyond grateful for that drive-thru window. Especially when there are sick or sleeping kids in the van, or when the weather is crummy. Of course once in awhile we need non-prescription medications or a bottle of Vernors, so on those occasions I do venture in for a little whirlwind sick-kid shopping trip. But typically, I don't do much browsing at Walgreens.

Then I found out about the Walgreens Ology line of safer and greener products. Ology makes everything from baby products to personal care and cleaning products, as well as paper items and light bulbs. Since I'm very interested in being kinder to the environment, as well as bringing fewer poisons and pollutants into my home, I couldn't wait to visit Walgreens and see for myself what was available. I was picking up a prescription last week, and was (naturally) in a rush to pick someone up from somewhere, but I took a few minutes to go up and down the aisles looking for the pink Ology name.

The Ology products are scattered throughout the store. For example, the Ology laundry detergent is side by side with other brands of laundry detergent. Since I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for, this gave me a bit of a challenge. I could have gone on the Walgreens website ahead of time to see my options. Nonetheless, I managed to find a few items I was interested in trying. And now that I've looked over the Ology products online, I will be looking for more of them to try on future visits. Furthermore, I really hope this line takes off and they add more to it!

Here's a rundown of some the available Ology products:
  • laundry detergent
  • fabric softener
  • glass cleaner
  • all purpose cleaner
  • toilet paper
  • facial tissue
  • paper towels
  • copy paper
  • light bulbs
  • hair products
  • baby lotion 
  • baby shampoo/body wash
I chose to try facial tissues, paper towels, and  the All in One Soothing Baby Wash and Shampoo, with a lavender and chamomile scent.


  Ology Soft & Strong Facial Tissue Ology All in One Soothing Baby Wash... Ology Paper Towels 2 Rolls


The paper products intrigued me because they are 100% tree free! How is that possible, you might be wondering? Well, the Ology facial tissues and paper towels are made from sugarcane husk and bamboo. I love it! The husks would otherwise not be used, and the bamboo grows so fast that it regenerates in a very short time - as little as six months! Plus, both products are biodegradable and whitened with non-chlorine bleach. The tissue boxes are really cute too, with a collage of little pictures of trees, picnic baskets, bicycles, and more. I would say that the tissues compare with a nicer store brand in terms of softness. So not sandpaper, but not quite as soft as the top name brands. I would buy them again, for sure. The paper towels are...paper towels. They aren't quite as absorbent as the popular name brands, but they do the job. Again, I would buy them again. I might be a geek, but I think it is exciting that paper products are being produced from alternate materials!

Although I don't actually have any babies in my home, I wanted to try out the Ology All in One Soothing Baby Wash and Shampoo because my girls, Lucy especially, have extremely sensitive skin. Luckily the problem  isn't as bad as it once was, but I'm always on the lookout for body washes and shampoos that don't mess with their skin. Not only is this product hypoallergenic and free of all harmful chemicals, it smells wonderful! No parabens, silicones, dyes, phthalates, or animal byproducts: it's a beautiful thing! Most importantly, it's not making my girls itchy, so this stuff is a definite winner!

Next time you're at Walgreens, take a few minutes to look around and see what Ology products you can find! I'm really pleased with my purchases and look forward to trying out more Ology items soon.



I was sent a Walgreen’s gift card for the purposes of obtaining Ology products to review. No other compensation was offered or received. No suggestions or requests to select specific products within the Ology line were offered. I was in no way obligated to write a positive review and all opinions are mine and mine alone.

No comments: