Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Making a Difference

Our good friend Sandra just recently participated in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day, a 60 mile walk to raise funds for breast cancer research and awareness of this horrible disease which affects so many women. I'm really proud of Sandra because it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to participate in the 3-Day. I've been wanting to take part in this fundraising walk for a few years, and now that I know I'm done making babies and nursing babies, maybe I'll actually make the commitment to sign up for one of next year's 3-Day walks. I'm a little nervous though, not so much about the walking 20 miles a day but more about the fund raising - walkers have to raise a minimum of $2300 in order to participate. But I'm sure Sandra would be happy to give me some pointers (right, Sandra?!?).

There's a pretty good chance that you yourself or someone you know has been affected by breast cancer. I know, off the top of my head, three survivors. I'm thankful they beat cancer, but the sad fact is that not everyone is so lucky. I had an aunt, Caroline, who didn't make it. Breast cancer took her from this world before I had the chance to ever meet her. It saddens me that I didn't get to know Caroline, and I would like to walk in her memory. When I do, I found a website that sells a huge variety of Breast Cancer t shirts, and I'll be sure to get a different one for each day of the walk.

Have you ever participated in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day? How have you been affected by breast cancer?

No comments: