Tuesday, February 12, 2013

It's a Blog World

When I first started blogging, it was simply a writing outlet for me. I was always interested in writing, yet afraid to do much about it. Blogging was an easy way to dip my toes in without going for a swim, if you know what I mean. I never, ever thought that it would lead to meeting people, making extra cash, trying products at no cost, or going to events for free. In the coming weeks, I'd like to take a long hard look at which direction I'm planning to steer this blogging gig in the future. Perhaps I can even make time for writing outside the realm of the blogosphere from time to time. I do believe that having clearly defined goals is imperative if I have any hope of making my dreams a reality (figuring out just what those dreams are is an important first step!), so this is something I need to dedicate some time and thought to. My  head has sort of been in the clouds lately (okay, okay...for the past few months!) and I'd like to take a few deep breaths and focus.

Right now, though, I'm grateful. I'm grateful for the opportunity blogging has afforded me to have a writing medium that feels safe. I'm grateful for the little bits of extra money I make here and there which help with things like Christmas shopping and Detroit Edison* bills. I'm grateful for the people I've met, both virtually and in real life. I'm grateful for the opportunity to try new things. I'm grateful that sometimes I get to share those things with you all, in the form of giveaways. These days, blogging and social media are integral to advertising, communication, and information exchange, and I'm glad to be getting in on some of the fun and action!

Here are some of the coolest things I've experienced as a direct result of blogging, in no particular order:

  • Meeting and interviewing Jeff Kinney. This was so cool, and something that would have never happened in Alysia's non-blogging world. Giving my kids the chance to meet one of their favorite authors and ride in his tour bus was totally phenomenal, and I hope it's an experience that they will always remember.
  • Behind the scenes look at the Michigan dairy industry. So far I've had the opportunity to attend two special blogger events that involved touring Michigan dairy farms and finding out more about how milk gets from the cow to your table. I've toured Goma Dairy Farm in Marlette, and Horning Dairy Farm in Manchester, as well as the Michigan Dairy milk processing plant in Livonia. Talking with real farmers (and plant workers) and seeing how hard they work really gave me a new perspective and appreciation for the dairy products my family takes for granted.
  • Lego KidsFest. Since Connor is a huge fan of anything to do with Legos, he was really excited to attend the Lego KidsFest in Novi last fall. Because he already wanted to go to this event, it was particularly awesome that I was unexpectedly given the chance to attend** for free, as a blogger. In exchange, I snapped some photos and wrote a blog post. Not bad at all.
  • Gardner White Blog for a Grand. I entered a blogger contest that a local furniture chain was hosting, and  won the grand prize of a $1000 gift certificate for the store! This was really exciting because it meant that Chris and I got to use the gift certificate to purchase our first (non-hand-me-down) mattress!
  • Sesame Street Live, Disney On Ice, and Monster Jam. These are three shows that I will have the pleasure of attending with my children during the next month, in exchange for a little blogging and social media promotion. If you're interested in winning tickets to Disney On Ice at the Palace of Auburn Hills, click HERE. If you're interested in winning tickets to Monster Jam at Detroit's Ford Field, click HERE. (Sorry, but the two Sesame Street Live giveaways that I hosted have ended).
  • Castaway Bay. Our family was invited to a blogger event at Castaway Bay resort and indoor water park in Sandusky, Ohio.Since we were already in the neighborhood, we were also invited to a blogger event at a nearby family fun center, Ghostly Manor. We made a whole weekend out of it, and had a wonderful time. I'll be sharing more about our weekend by means of a couple blog posts and a super fun related announcement...very soon. Be patient!
As you can see, blogging has been good to me. And this list doesn't even get into the cool products I've been able to try, such as JAWS cleaning supplies and Conscious Box, just to name a couple. Everything I listed happened within the past 6-8 months or so. I'm excited to see what new opportunities 2013 will bring!

If you are a blogger, I'd love to know what cool opportunities you've been given as a result of blogging!



*Detroit Edison = electricity
**Connor & Mattie tagged along to the Lego KidsFest, as well as a few friends.

3 comments:

Mrs. Weber said...

I can't speak highly enough of blogging. It has afforded us opportunities that would NEVER be financially possible before!

With that said, I think it takes a lot to be a blogger and it's not for everyone. It's so crucial to be a conversationalist, interact with your fans and more. It takes hours to put together posts, etc. So you truly are working for each and every opportunity.

I love our blogging community. It has been so awesome getting to know you too, Alysia :) Such a fun ride!

Liz Parker said...

At first I was thinking I hadn't really had any cool opportunities ... but then I realized there's quite a few events I got to cover :). I used to write for FORMzine.com and I also still write for Examiner, and I covered a Variety children's charity event at Emagine RO last year - they had a chocolate fountain, which was yummy - and the world premiere of "Have a Little Faith" (Mitch Albom's book, made into a TV movie) and got to meet Bradley Whitford and see some other celebs like Lawrence Fishburne there too.

I also covered the world premiere of Answer This!, which was shot in Ann Arbor, and met Chris Gorham and Arielle Kebbel. :)

Lately I went to a Bahama Breeze blogger dinner and got to try out their new drinks and appetizers too.

And I still have to read the Diary of a Wimpy Kid book I received! It's in my book pile.

alyaia75 said...

Lauren, I agree that blogging is a ton of work and is definitely a labor of love! Meeting other bloggers has been one of the best parts! So fun that we keep showing up at the same events ;-)

Liz, you have done a ton of cool blogging things! How does one get on that Bahama Breeze list, lol??