Thursday, September 27, 2012

Opportunity Knocks






Today I am thankful for opportunity.


Sometimes I feel like everything is impossible. Road blocks seem to be interfering with my every turn, as I encounter more and more challenges around every corner. But I have this belief, deeply ingrained in me.

                             somehow, some way, everything will be okay

That belief gets me through, and it always has. In my moments of despair, and we all have them at some point in our lives, I have known that if I just hold on, I will get through...and the despair will pass. The older I get, the more I realize that the impossible can become possible. In fact, if I change never into it's possible, amazing things can happen.

Everyday is full of opportunities. Sometimes we see them, sometimes we don't. Sometimes we seize them, sometimes we don't. Sometimes we believe they're there, sometimes we don't.

I don't have any magic formulas for a perfect life, and, like yours, my life is far from perfect. Everyday I try, not only to see the opportunities that are always there for me, but also to live by the golden rule:

treat others as you would have them treat you

...which doesn't always happen, because I'm human. But when it does happen, the opportunities might seem a little more real and available and possible. And maybe I feel like I am more worthy of them. Because I'm beginning to realize that feeling worthy is something I struggle with too.

Right now, at this moment, I am thankful for the opportunity to meet new friends and connect with local bloggers. I am thankful for the opportunity to make a little money doing things that are fun and that I enjoy. I am thankful for the possibility of a date night with my husband next week before he goes out of town for work. I am thankful for the opportunity to spend time with people I love. I am thankful for the opportunity to provide a nice childhood for my kids (and I'm not just talking materially here). I am thankful for the opportunity to take care of my body. I am thankful for the opportunity to be a better person. I am thankful for the opportunity to live joyfully and with hope, every single day. 

Some days it's easier than others to realize that these opportunities, and an infinite number of other opportunities, are available to me. But I am thankful that, whether I always realize it or not, they are there, waiting to be noticed and engaged.

What are you thankful for today?

2 comments:

Tracy Balderach said...

I feel like blogging helps me to be more grateful bc it gives me a chance to look back at the pictures of the week and focus on the good....when the pictures are posted, there is no arguing, whining, yelling or crying.....eliminate those things and one can focus on the experience from a high level.....the day to day can be so hard- especially with curve balls or days in which it is hard to use the golden rule....on those days, i pray for patience, energy and a renewed mindset that will help me show my children how to treat others with love.
Love your thankful Thursdays blog posts, although your so what Weds are always good for a laugh!
xoxo

alyaia75 said...

You are so right Tracy. I find that simply the process of blogging makes me think things through more thoroughly and realize just how much I have to be grateful for. Thank you for your kind words, as always! I hope you are finding lots of joyful moments in suburbia...I think you have the best of both worlds, living close to the city and yet giving your family space to stretch and grow.