Friday, September 14, 2012

Seven Years Until College

Bethany is officially a middle school student, which means we have just seven short years to figure out how we're going to pay for college. In theory, that sounds like a long time. But the sad reality is that it sure doesn't feel like it's been six years since she started kindergarten, so I'm sure these next seven years are going to fly by just as quickly. I'm not anxious for any of my kids to grow up, but I suppose I should get my head out of the clouds and at least start thinking about the cold hard facts. College tuition has increased astronomically since I graduated, and I'm sure the situation will be even more dire by the time Bethany is heading off to the big house. And Connor, Lucy, and Mathilda will be following her in quick succession.

I'm pretty sure winning the lottery is not the most reliable plan for financing four college educations. A better bet would be for our kids to keep their grades up so they can qualify for scholarships. Especially now that Bethany is in middle school, we are really trying to emphasize the importance of good grades. I know it doesn't count that much until high school, but she needs to be setting the foundation for high school right now.

Thank goodness for the all-knowing internet. Without it, I'm sure I'd find it a whole lot more difficult to find information about scholarships and educational grants. No, I'm not putting the cart before the horse. But it's reassuring to know that when the time comes, I'll have resources at my fingertips for finding the best options for my kids.

 

1 comment:

Gina Jacobs Thomas said...

This topic? This is the one that keeps my husband up at night. Our kids are only 6 and 3, but we still feel like we're running behind on saving for college. And while we joke about scholarships, we still hold out hope that that option will be around when our kids are college-aged and are viable solutions.

Gina
www.totallyfullofit.com