Friday, July 6, 2012

Lessons from Homer

Did you ever see that Simpsons episode where Homer goes crazy having traffic signs put up all over the place? Sometimes as I'm driving around and noticing missing road signs, I think of that episode and wonder just how Homer got the ball rolling. I probably haven't watched that show in a good decade, or close to it, but somehow that one episode has stuck with me. Isn't it funny how certain shows stay in your memory for some unknown reason? Why did my brain decide to hang onto that memory instead of something a little more useful, like how to divide fractions so I can help my kid do her math homework without hurting myself with the effort?

In my city, street signs seem to be missing from key locations. I often think that if someone isn't from around here, even the best GPS isn't going to help them find what they're looking for. Intersections of major roads? Maybe you'll see an itty bitty sign that can only be read from within three feet or so, and only at one of the four corners. Or maybe there will be no sign at all and you just have to do some guesswork and hope you made the correct turn. But I guess I don't care enough to start hanging out in meetings at City Hall or to start collecting signatures for petitions, or whatever it was that Homer did to get his town well marked with a plethora of signs.

Luckily, missing street signs don't pose much of a safety hazard. Sure it's annoying, and it could be bothersome to other drivers as people are slowing down at intersections, trying desperately to locate an elusive sign that might not exist. And I think public safety was what Homer's platform was all about. Although, like I said, it's been quite awhile since I've watched the Simpsons, so what do I know?

Have any certain television shows or episodes stuck with you throughout the years, popping into your mind at odd moments?

No comments: