Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Review: Idina Menzel "Holiday Wishes"




Disclaimer: I participated in the Idina Menzel Holiday Wishes album review program as a member of One2One Network. I was provided an album to review but all opinions are my own. 

I am strictly opposed to Christmas music before Thanksgiving (one holiday at a time, please!), but when I was given the opportunity to review Tony Award-winning actor/singer Idina Menzel's new album, Holiday Wishes, I had to make an exception. Because, you know, I love her. While I've never had the privilege of seeing her in a Broadway production, I am a fan of Menzel from Frozen (she is the voice of Elsa) and Glee, where she plays the talented mother of main character Rachel Berry.

Menzel reworks a dozen holiday numbers, including several classics:
  1. Do You Hear What I Hear
  2. The Christmas Song
  3. Baby It's Cold Outside (duet with Michael Buble)
  4. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
  5. All I Want for Christmas is You
  6. What Are You Doing New Year's Eve
  7. December Prayer
  8. When You Wish Upon a Star
  9. Silent Night
  10. River
  11. Holly Jolly Christmas
  12. White Christmas
An exclusive version sold at Target includes 2 bonus tracks: "Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow"; and "Mothers Spiritual". I didn't get this version so I haven't heard these two songs yet.

Of course I was already a fan of Menzel's melodious voice, so the fact that I love this album is no surprise. I suppose I would describe it as...smooth. I know most of the words, so I can sing along, which is kind of a must when it comes to Christmas music. I've been listening to it while I work, and it's got a nice vibe to it. Upbeat, but not distracting.

My absolute favorite track on Holiday Wishes is "Baby It's Cold Outside." Menzel and Buble together are chillingly perfect.

Want a little sneak listen? Check out this album trailer!




Holiday Wishes is available on iTunes and Amazon.

If you're looking for a little something to get you in the holiday spirit, or want something new to add to your Christmas music rotation, Holiday Wishes is an ideal choice.


No comments: