Sunday, January 2, 2011

Welcoming 2011

Yesterday morning I woke up and it was spring! What a way to bring in the New Year! Fifty degrees and no trace of snow! Of course I do live in Michigan, so 24 hours later and it's back to the reality of winter. (boo)

Well we got through the holidays intact and I can't believe the kids are already going back to school tomorrow.  They may suffer a bit from screen withdrawal since we've been letting them turn their brains to mush at their own discretion for the past week. (Disclaimer: They've also spent tons of time with friends and family and playing with the millions of new toys in our house. So it hasn't all been a zombified wash.) But still, their heads might explode this week when they're forced to do things like reading, talking as opposed to screaming, and walking past the Wii and the PS3 without turning them on.

I've been thinking a little about New Year's resolutions. I know nobody needs a date on the calendar to tell them it's okay or an appropriate time to make life changes. But the start of the new year is symbolic of a fresh start, and after the craziness of the holidays, I am ready to re-evaluate my life and think of things I'd like to accomplish this year. Here are a few things on my mind:

  • Take better care of myself. The reality is I'm not getting any younger, and since I have no health insurance (and thus never go to the doctor unless I'm pregnant...which is SO not happening), I really need to be extra vigilant about my health. I need to eat better, take vitamins, drink more water, and get regular exercise.
  • Pamper myself a little more. I've heard tales of women who get their hair cut more than once a year...that can't possibly be true?!
  • Write more, and maybe even take a writing class or two.
  • Spend more time with my friends.
  • Send my kids outside to play until they love it and never want to come in. This is going to be a year of bike rides, pool time, picnics, digging in the dirt and maybe even playing in the snow. I'm contemplating something drastic, like no television all summer. I'm not sure any of us would make it out alive...but it might be a risk I'm willing to take.
  • Take up jogging and run a 5K. That might not seem very ambitious to some, but to me it would be a huge deal. 
  • Get caught up with Mt. Laundry and stay caught up. A daunting task with a family of 6, but I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...
  • Create a work area for myself somewhere in my house where I can sew or whatever. One that doesn't involve the dining room table and everyone eating in the family room every time I'm in the middle of a project.
  • Learn to crochet. I've been wanting to do this forever. 
  • Take a family camping trip. It's been way too long since we've done this, and we had such a memorable experience last time. 
I am excited reading my list and thinking about what an awesome year this is going to be. I'd love to know what everyone else is planning for 2011.

No comments: