Friday, June 24, 2011

The Not So Summery Summer Vacation, Part I: Tahquamenon Falls

Upper Tahquamenon Falls
Late last night the kids and I returned from our Up North excursion. There were a few disappointments, namely it was cold and rainy every single day, and I didn't get to binge on fresh fish, fried to delicious perfection. But nonetheless we had a really great time visiting Aunt Donna.

Lower Tahquamenon Falls
The highlight of the trip, for me, was visiting Tahquamenon Falls in the Upper Peninsula with my kids. I loved seeing the falls when I was a kid, and I wanted to share them with my babes, plus I have this thing for waterfalls which I'm pretty sure I've mentioned once or twice. And that was the one and only day we lucked out with the weather, as it was raining all morning, but by the time we got there in the late afternoon the rain had temporarily ceased.

Getting to Tahquamenon Falls was a bit confusing and involved some wrong turns and driving here, there and everywhere; I wish I could offer some tips but we just put the nearest town (Paradise) in the GPS and hoped to see lots of signs. Eventually we found it, but I would suggest researching directions before heading to the falls. Duh.

Lower Tahquamenon Falls
There are two separate state parks, one for Lower Tahquamenon Falls and one for Upper Tahquamenon Falls. You have to pay $10 for a yearly State Park pass (it goes on your windshield and is good at every Michigan state park), which Michigan drivers can opt into when renewing their license plates as well. This year the passes are the same price at the State Parks, but starting next year they'll cost $15 if purchased at a park instead of through Secretary of State. Both parks have nice paved paths (good for strollers and wheelchairs), lots of easily accessible viewing areas and benches, restrooms with real toilets, gift shops and concessions. You do have to walk a little bit to see the falls, but it is a nice and easy walk.
Upper Tahquamenon Falls

Upper Tahquamenon Falls
There is a hiking trail between the upper and the lower falls, I believe the sign said it was 8 miles long and medium difficulty. It was pretty rugged looking and not suitable for a stroller (at all). So instead we drove from the lower to the upper falls. At the lower falls you can rent a little row boat to get up close to the falls, but being that we had a wild 2-year old with us, we opted out.  It looked like fun and maybe we'll get to do it when the kids are older. At the upper falls there are a couple look-out areas which involve lots of steps, and the one we went to had awesome views, but you can get a gorgeous look at the falls even if you don't feel like (or are unable to) climbing up and down a million steps.

First we went to Lower Tahquamenon Falls, where we were devoured by blood-sucking mosquitoes, and then gouged at the gift shop for a $7 can of insect repellent. So learn from my mistake and bring bug spray from home, and cover yourself with it before heading down the path to the falls.

We stayed overnight in nearby Newberry, self-proclaimed "Moose capital of Michigan." Unfortunately we did not see any moose. Boo. Our motel was really inexpensive, but I cannot in good conscience recommend it. There was a slightly grimy indoor pool, which we did use, and the room was fine for one night. I have a feeling the other accommodations in the area were not much better. Don't expect chain anything in the U.P. The hotels, motels, restaurants and stores are about 95% of the mom and pop variety. You can drive for a long time without seeing anything but trees, so if you're hungry you might want to stop at the first place you see because it might be awhile before you pass another place.


I loved re-visiting a place I last went to over 20 years ago. It felt the same, somehow. Stay tuned for my next installment of the Not So Summery Summer Vacation.

No comments: