Monday, January 9, 2012

2012: The Resolution Edition

I've had lots of thoughts of New Year's resolutions rolling around in my head lately, but I've been too tired and busy to really sit with them and let them formulate. The holiday hubbub has died down, the kids are back in school, and I'm ready to get this show on the road.

This year I've got some kind of broad resolutions, with several more specific goals within each. First I'll list them, then I'll go into more detail below.

  1. Take Better Care of Myself   
  2. Enjoy my Children More
  3. Streamline & Organize my Entire House
  4. Stay Zen, Even When the People Around are Far From Zen, and in Fact Seem to be Conspiring Against Me
1. During the past decade, the only time I've seen a doctor has been while I was pregnant. Concerns have been nagging at me. Before Christmas, I went for my "annual" exam (ladies will know what I'm referring to), and just before the New Year I went on a scheduling rampage for the month of January. I'm having all sorts of nerve wracking appointments I've been putting off for ages, some at the advice of my lady doctor. I went to the dentist for a cleaning and a check-up, where I found out I have to have a tooth surgically extracted (sounds like fun, hey?). I'm still waiting back from the oral surgeon's office so I can schedule that. The next day I went to the dermatologist to have a couple little spots checked out which have noticeably changed in recent years. The doctor removed one right away, and depending on the biopsy results might remove the other when I go back in two weeks. I got a call that my Pap test came back abnormal, so I need to return for further testing and possibly a biopsy. I'm going in for my very first mammogram this week (precautionary because my aunt had breast cancer). And I'm also seeing a neurologist regarding the incidents I've had of passing out and numbness/inability to move. Does this not sound like your idea of a fun January? I don't think I've ever in my life had so many appointments in such a short time. I'm making up for lost time, but that's stupid. If I had been looking after my health a little better, then I wouldn't be freaking out all at once now. My kids need a healthy mama, and there is a lot I want to do in life, so a billion doctor appointments is just the beginning. From now on, I'm going to make more of an effort to take care of problems as they come up, instead of putting them off and letting them pile up indefinitely.

As another part of this resolution, I'm going to make more of an effort to work out regularly. Sure, I'm not exactly thrilled with the muffin top I've got going on, but more importantly, I need my body to be healthy. That is more of a motivation than fitting into my skinny jeans. I'm implementing more fruits and vegetables into my diet, and more home cooked meals. Right now I drink one smoothie most days, but I'd like to increase that to two smoothies everyday. I want to get more veggies into those smoothies. I want to try harder to remember my calcium pills everyday. I want to drink more water and get  more sleep. There's a lot to think about, but it's important. Baby steps...

2. I actually do enjoy my children quite a bit. I think they're pretty awesome. But I spend a whole lot of time harping at them to do this, that, and the other, and nagging them because they didn't do it the first 10 or 15 times I asked. I want to play with them more, be silly with them more, and have more meaningful conversations with them. I want to spend more one-on-one time with each of them. I want to lose my temper less, a lot less. And basically, I just want to be a better mother. I'm hoping to host a Love & Logic class at my house in the near future, to learn gentler and more effective ways of dealing with my kids.

3. We've only lived in this house for two and a half years, yet with the amount of unorganized crap we have amassed, one might think we've lived here for a couple decades. So much went unfinished when we first moved in (have I ever mentioned that I gave birth to Mathilda 5 days after we moved in?), and it's time to get her done. The tentative plan is to work on one room or area at a time. So far that's been the hall closet and main floor bathroom. I've got a lot done, but it ain't over 'til it's over. What I really should do is make a list. Good idea, I'll get right on it. Well, maybe tomorrow.

Another part of this plan is to get the kids involved, very involved. We've been working on some new chore routines. I've some chore lists printed out and ready to hang, but still need to iron out the specifics of a chore chart. I want to walk into my house and feel good about it, every time. Is that too much to ask?

Also, I mentioned above that I want to start eating more home cooked meals. One of the reasons we don't eat more home cooked meals is because I am seriously lacking in meal planning skills and kitchen organization. So I'm also working on a big meal chart to hang in the kitchen that will hopefully help us out in that area.

4. Most of the stress in my life is the direct result of other people. I'll be in a fabulous mood, when suddenly I encounter whomever, who promptly sucks all the joy out of the room and makes me feel like crawling into a warm dark cave for a day or three would be just the thing.  I need to be responsible for my reactions and separate myself from the negativity, but this is so hard for me. I have a difficult time being happy unless everyone around me is happy too. I know that I can't change other people, I can only change how I react to other people. I have a lot of work to do in this department.

One of the things I need to do is start up my gratitude journal again. I keep saying this, but seriously, for the sake of my sanity, I need to do it. Focusing on gratitude and positivity makes a world of difference. I don't know what else to do. Hopefully exercising, eating better, and being more organized will help too. Maybe I need to start meditating. I need to laugh more too, definitely.

I have other goals for 2012 too, but these are the life-changing ones. What about you? Care to share? Or give me tips on how to avoid losing my head when a Debbie Downer or Judging Judy tries to rain on my parade?

No comments: