Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

I loved reading Eat,Pray,Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Watching the movie, well, not so much.

Yes the book had its moments that kind of lost me...I don't really have the attention span or patience for lots and lots of descriptive details. But the message I just loved ~ finding yourself, finding balance in your life, following the serendipitous signs that the universe sends you. Reading it was a treat. It was how I could imagine a single, formerly married, childless, fantasy version of myself.

I thought the book would translate well to film, and I do like Julia Roberts. I was excited to watch the movie version. But it just kind of fell flat for me. It seemed like the writers were trying really hard to stay true to the book, which ended up falling on the awkward side of the chopping block. The transitions from one country to the next were particularly rocky. For someone who has never read the book, I think this would be a bit confusing.

The beautiful backgrounds were definitely a huge plus. And I didn't hate the movie. I think Julia Roberts played a good Elizabeth Gilbert. But on the whole, it was just "eh" for me.

No comments: