Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I am Thankful for Unconditional Love

What I'm most thankful for today is unconditional love, mainly because I have been a wicked crab to my poor kids. I've just been having one of those days when everything kind of rubs me the wrong way. When I'm irritable, the ones I love the most suffer the most. Thankfully, my sweeties are so forgiving and they love me no matter what.

Of course, likewise goes for them. I'm thankful I love them unconditionally. Especially when Mattie purposely dumps the dog's water all over the kitchen floor, empties half a box of crackers out (and stomps on them maniacally), and looks at me with that "so whatcha gonna do about it, huh?" look on her sweet little face. Or when Lucy screams at Connor to get out of her room ~NOW!~ and never ever come back, because he's making it STINKY! And when Connor interferes with Lucy's imaginative play, ruining her fun by refusing to play along with whatever she is make-believing at the moment. Or when Bethany rolls her eyes and talks to me like I'm the most ignorant fool ever to walk the earth.

Yes, unconditional love has saved them more than once. I am thankful they know I love them unconditionally, so they can save all their worst behavior for me, because I'll still love them no matter how fervently they test my limits. I'm happy to get the short end if it means they behave themselves for others, especially when Chris and I aren't around. And I'm thankful that even though I try to give them the best of myself every day, sometimes I slip; and when I do, they are waiting without question to accept my apology and keep on loving me.

2 comments:

Pauline said...

This is great Alysia. I know how you feel. You are a great mom all the time. We all love you. Take care.

alyaia75 said...

Thank you Pauline! Right back at ya :-)