Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Road Trip Mentality

Remember that incredible road trip I took last summer? The one I, ummm, never finished telling you about? Yeah, I have to get on that. In fact, it seems to me that it's been since I got home from that trip that I haven't been caught up with anything and I can't keep my head on straight. Hmmm.

Well anyway, I've had that trip on my mind a lot lately, because it was awesome. It was exhausting and a ton of work too, but I miss being on the road and seeing something different every day. Really miss it. I know that a trip of those epic proportions is not happening this summer (we already have four weeks of our summer spoken for - running out of time and it's only February!), but I am thinking of something a little smaller scale for Spring Break.

I am lucky enough to have a brother-in-law who lives in Orlando, in a big awesome house with spare bedrooms and everything. And he LOVES when we visit (right, Rob??). We actually haven't visited in far too long - about two and a half years. Obviously, we are way over-due. And, believe it or not, we have never driven to Florida as a family. So I think the time has come. I've been trying to make this happen for quite awhile, but something always comes up. This is the year it is happening!

For Michiganders, driving to Florida is almost a right of passage. Everybody does it. But we've never done it, and it's time we join the club. For awhile (okay, it's been a few years) it was basically cheaper to fly. But not anymore, especially not with four kids. And plus I'm looking forward to two full days on I-75. Maybe not really, but I'm sure we can find something interesting to look at along the way?! Honestly, I'm already Mapquesting and thinking it might be best to take 1-95 S on the way down, and I-75 N on the way home. That way we can drive through Columbus and Savannah. Or maybe even I-95 both ways? It only adds a very short time onto the trip. And suddenly one overnight each way is not enough! It's times like these that homeschooling sounds like a really great option. (Plus an unlimited budget would be nice.) One week off of school does not give us much time to drive over 1000 miles each way. Maybe missing a day or three of school wouldn't be too much?

I'm getting all sorts of great ideas. Chris LOVES when I get great ideas! What I'm thinking is perhaps a night at Hocking Hills State Park would be a possibility! If Chris reads this, he is going to tell me to stop coming up with great ideas and we'll be lucky if we make it to Florida, much less any "pit stops" along the way. Okay, I'll focus on Florida for now. And I will be happy even if we don't get to stop at Hocking Hills State Park. Or anyplace else. Yes, I will be happy even if we just do a blitzkrieg drive straight down and straight back, only stopping to eat, use the bathroom, and sleep for a few hours.

Back in high school, I went to Florida for the first time with my friend Jen and her family, during Spring Break. We drove all the way to Key West, and also stayed at Disney for a week. Our theme song was "On the Road Again." I will be so, so happy to be on the road again.

Do you have any special plans for Spring Break? I'd love to hear all about them!

No comments: