Thursday, June 13, 2013

Thankful Thursday: School's Out For Summer




Wednesday was FINALLY Bethany, Connor, & Lucy's last day of school. Finally. I am so happy I could cry.

Our Summer break is off to a good start already. The 3 big kids each had a friend (or 2) over after school, and played and played and played for hours. Inside, outside, upstairs, downstairs. Bethany and her friends walked to McDonald's for lunch, where they were bombarded by 8th graders and sprayed with shaving cream. This gave them the idea to walk to the store and buy silly string, but when they got there they discovered that shaving cream is cheaper, so they bought that instead. And came back to the house and had a shaving cream fest all over the backyard, including the trampoline. Thankfully it rained most of the night, so with any luck the shaving cream stench will be washed away.

I managed to get to church to sign Lucy up for VBS, which is something I've been meaning to do for weeks. Lucy's best friend will be going too, and I'm happy that she will have a fun activity to do.

Lucy and Mathilda (& Lucy's friend) had dance, and since their recital is coming up next week, they wore their costumes to class. This is the kind of thing I dread, but it went pretty well. Bethany helped get Mattie ready, which was a big help. They looked so adorable in their costumes and barely grumbled about the itchy fabric and the annoying buns in their hair. When I went into Mathilda's class to watch, she asked me to record her, and because she loves an audience she put on quite a little show for me. She was pretty much doing her own thing, but she was happy and enjoying herself, and the faces she was making were cracking me up. I honestly don't care what she does at the recital as long as she gets on the stage and doesn't cry. I have been trying to get myself to accept that she might not, which will stink, but liking her classes is more important. If she won't dance on recital night, so be it. She's four. There are worse things.

I made breakfast for dinner and everyone liked it, cleaned their plates, and had seconds. This is always a relief, especially because it doesn't happen often. I almost always have at least one grumbler. Actually, one of the kids was slightly pouty at first because we weren't getting pizza, but I'm pretty sure CPS would come for me if I fed my kids pizza one more time in a one week period. Once the food was made, everyone was happy with it.

I finished the book I was reading to review. Although I'm not entirely happy with the book, I'm glad to be done with it ahead of schedule for once. The review will be published Saturday.

I hosted a preschool board meeting at our house on Tuesday night, so we are starting out the summer break with a clean house. When I say clean house, I am not counting anybody's bedroom. Even my own. Although we had four extra kids here for the afternoon, it's still pretty clean. Hopefully it can stay that way. Don't laugh too hard.

We have a lot of exciting things planned for the summer, and I can't believe it's finally here! The next couple weeks are actually crazy busy, so it's not too much of an actual break, I suppose. Looking at my calendar, we have the two crazy weeks, one week that's got nothing planned so far, and then another four weeks of craziness, and then the final four weeks with not much planned so far. We have some flexibility to do our own thing, and I think that's what makes me so happy. That and not setting my alarm every day. And seeing my kids more. And not dealing with homework struggles. And the heat, if it ever decides to act like summer around here. Not having to be so rigid, in general. Whatever the reason(s), this is my happiest time of year. I am so thankful for summertime!

What are you thankful for today?



No comments: