Thursday, March 14, 2013

Thankful Thursday

Thankful-Thursday-gratitude


Today I worked in Mathilda's preschool class. Probably my favorite thing about sending my kids to a co-op preschool is the opportunity to work in the classroom with the kids. There is just nothing like it. These kids are so cute and so carefree. It won't be long before it's no longer socially acceptable for a little boy to sit down next to a little girl at snack time and casually tell her that he loves her. Just because that's what he's feeling at the moment.

I am so thankful for the moms group I belonged to when Bethany and Connor were babies, because it was there that I learned about co-op preschools for the first time. I am thankful for my friend Beth (from the group) for telling me about the school that we ended up choosing. I am thankful that this school ended up being the perfect place for us. It was a friendly entry into the school world, which can be quite overwhelming for newbie parents. I am thankful for the wonderful teachers who are truly dedicated and care so much about our kids.

I am thankful that I get to enjoy the preschool experience for the fourth time with Mathilda. Having a three-year old is like the best fun ever. She is so excited when it's my turn to work, and leads me around the classroom by the hand, asking me to play everything with her. She can sit on my lap at circle time, and ask me to hold her for a minute if she feels like it. I am thankful that she still wants me around, and wants to be held and to sit on my lap. I am thankful that she would rather play with me than anyone else. I know this won't last, but I'm loving it while it does. I am thankful that after four kids I have finally come to understand the importance and joy of slowing down and savoring the fact that my child needs me. Yes, we are rushed sometimes...many times, in fact. But it's clearer to me now, that once three is over, it's over for good. I am thankful for that little bit of clarity.

Many parents are anxious for their kids to grow up, to be independent, to not need us so much. I've been there, and sometimes I still am. I won't lie. It's a relief when they can finally buckle their own seat belts, tie their own shoes, and make their own school lunches. Helping our kids become independent is why we were put on this earth. To love them and nurture them and then...let them go. I am thankful for the growing independence, too. The little steps that make my life logistically easier, bit by bit.

I can get my tooth brush ready.

I can brush my hair.

I can put my shoes on.

I can get the milk out.

Might not sound like much, but I do only have two hands, and lots of simultaneous requests. So when each kid can help out a little, it makes a big difference.

Today, I'm thankful for this parenting journey that I'm on. All of it. Every painful, bittersweet, and jubilant step. And I'm thankful that sometimes I even remember to enjoy it.


No comments: