Monday, October 31, 2011

Weekend Rundown

Weekends are so short. This one was as busy as ever, and considerably better than last weekend.

I mentioned that Connor is going as Shaggy from Scooby Doo for Halloween. Well Friday I went to pick Lucy up from school and came back to find Chris fully in project mode, creating a Mystery Machine out of our wagon for Connor to take trick or treating. I started helping him, and it took up the whole afternoon. We had a trunk or treat to go to that night and Chris really wanted to get it done so we could take it with us. While he was putting it together in the front yard, Mathilda was getting so excited and asked to go outside with daddy while wearing her Halloween costume. So she stood out there waving to anyone who drove by. She's wearing Lucy's old Chewbacca costume, and she loves it so much. If you're wondering why we have a traditionally boyish costume for our girls, it's because Lucy specifically asked to be Chewy for Halloween when she was 2. Our kids start young with the Star Wars. Before Connor was 2, he could name any Star Wars character you showed him. Blame this on Chris.

We spent Friday evening at the trunk or treat, which was at our friends' church. I love trunk or treating. I think I would be perfectly happy replacing real trick or treating with trunk or treating. If you're not familiar with trunk or treating yet, it's where a bunch of cars park in a parking lot with their trunks open and pass out candy right from their cars. A lot of people decorate their trunks, and it's really fun. It's just like concentrated trick or treating, with no worries that you're wasting your time trudging up and down a block with only two houses passing out candy. A bunch of friends were there, the church had snacks and games and haunted pirate ship rides for the kids. Music was playing and the kids were dancing in the parking lot. It wasn't raining or snowing,and it was pretty much just a great night. We brought home a couple extra kids with us, and they all hung out watching Punky Brewster episodes before hitting they hay. 


Saturday our guests left and Chris's mom came to pick up Bethany and Lucy for a couple hours. She took Bethany to get a feather, and although Lucy didn't want one, she was happy to tag along. About 20 minutes after the girls came home, Bethany left again to go to a movie with a friend. And as soon as she came home from the movie, it was time for her to get ready for another friend's Halloween party. I can't imagine what this girl's social calendar is going to look like by the time she's in high school.


I picked up a couple of Bethany's friends and we were on our way to the party. Bethany's friend's mom is a friend of mine, and she just had surgery and can't walk. Crazy woman that she is (and super dedicated mom!), she went forward with the party despite the fact that she was supposed to be laying down with her foot elevated. So I stayed to help and did my best to keep her off her foot, which was fruitless. But I'm glad I stayed because I had a great time hanging out with her and her hubs and I got to meet a lot of Bethany's fellow 5th graders. (Want to get to know your kid's friends? Have parties, invite them into your home. It is so worth it just to be able to place names with faces and see for yourself what these kids - and their parents - are like.) The kids had a blast, especially if the fun quotient was a measure of the noise level. They all wore costumes and danced and played games like good little sports. Bethany ended up staying the night with a couple other girls.


Sunday started out lazy. After I picked Bethany up, we carved pumpkins. Then Chris took Bethany and Connor down to the basement for a coming of age event: watching Poltergeist for the first time. Poltergeist was the first super scary movie Chris and I each watched when we were kids. I was a little reluctant to let my kids watch it because it freaked me the hell out when I first saw it. But Chris suggested maybe I was being over-protective, and they really wanted to watch it, so we both gave the green light. I went downstairs to check on them when the movie was about 15 minutes from ending, and they were both wondering what the fuss was about. They liked the movie but didn't think it was scary at all. Has the world changed that much?!? However, the last 10 or 15 minutes scared Bethany big time (Connor maintains that he only got scared when the clown doll jumped out), and she went to bed with the covers over her head. I'm hoping for no nightmares.

Actual conversation with Mathilda this weekend:

Mathilda: I scratch Mommy's back.
Me: Okay, go ahead, you can scratch my back.
Mathilda: (Lifts up my shirt to scratch my back) Uh-oh! It's poop!
Me: What are you talking about? What's poop?
Mathilda: (Touches a mole on my back)
Me: That's not poop! It's a beauty mark (euphemism for mole)!
Mathilda: Oooooh. I get booty mark too mama!


I love two. It's so much fun. I can't believe that within a year she'll change so drastically, she'll be ready for preschool. PAUSE.


I hope you had a fabulous weekend too!
 

No comments: