Saturday, March 3, 2012

Lucky #9

Today Connor is 9 years old. I remember so clearly going to the hospital on the day of his birth. He was my biggest baby and my easiest labor and delivery. About two hours after I arrived at the hospital, he was born. Easy peasy. And that is pretty much how things have gone with him ever since. I never really know what people are talking about when they say that their sons are wild and crazy. Connor is mellow, kind hearted, easy going, patient, a good listener, goofy, and just plain great.

With his KitKat cake
In honor of his birthday, Connor invited some school friends to a small bowling party. Chris and I were pretty much in shock because we never have this many boys over at one time. They are crazy. They are loud. They are nutty. They are rambunctious.They are very physical. They are emotional too. But they also love to have fun. They laugh a lot. We had to stop and ask ourselves if Connor would have ended up being more of all these things if he had brothers instead of sisters. Because holy smokes I don't think either of us were prepared for piles of boys rolling all over the floor at the bowling alley, and climbing all over each other, and knocking each other down, and chasing each other all around, and throwing pop cans at each other. Um. Wow. So it was eye-opening, but also really fun. I think they all had a great time. There was a little drama too- yes there is drama with boys too! Nothing compared to girl drama, but nonetheless it was there. But I'd say the party was a success. And I can definitely say that I am 250% relieved we decided not to have his party at home this year.

Chocolate overload ~ is there such thing?
I also have a new goal, which is to make sure Connor invites his friends over once in awhile. Our house is always full of Bethany's friends, but Connor needs some more time with his buds so he can embrace his inner wild child. He rarely asks for much of anything, and is the exact opposite of demanding. So it's easy to just let things roll without asking him what he wants. His sisters are very vocal about what they want, extremely demanding, and loud if they don't get it. There is  no misunderstanding there, no way of escaping their demands. But seeing Connor have so much fun with the guys let me know that it's up to us to make sure his voice is heard too, until he learns how to make that happen for himself.

Happy birthday, Connor Patrick George. You are just the perfect son for us. Dad would go crazy without your male reinforcement. Your sisters have no idea how lucky they are to have you for a brother, but they will one day. I love your silly sense of humor, thanks for always making me laugh. I love that when I ask you to do something, you do it. I love your creativity and your insistence on wearing t-shirts every single day. I love that you love to read and that you are so kind to everyone. I love every little red hair on your head. We are so blessed to have you for our son. I hope 9 is good to you.

No comments: