Friday, October 12, 2012

YouTube Review Explains Bluehost

As a blogger, I'm probably a little more ignorant about technical mumbo jumbo and internet jargon than I should be. I don't know much about web site hosting, SEO (search engine optimization), or a whole lot of other aspects of the social media world.

I started my blog on Blogger because it is easy and free and I didn't need to know anything about who should host my site or any other seemingly complicated issues. But now that I've been blogging for awhile, and I'm more into it, I keep hearing about cool things bloggers on Word Press can do if they self-host their sites. It seems that there are more options available and more freedom for those who go that route. I've been tempted, even though it seems a bit daunting to transfer my blog from Blogger to Word Press and I would be afraid of losing everything or messing it up. And as far as the hosting, I wouldn't even know where to begin!

That's where You Tube comes in. I love You Tube. Bethany and Chris are the ones who clued me in that you can find videos for pretty much anything on You Tube. Tutorials are especially useful, and there are videos that explain hosting websites, such as Bluehost, in clear, easy to understand terms.

This particular video that I linked to explains Bluehost basics for novices like me. Hearing someone who knows what they are talking about clearly describe something, and use screen shots for emphasis, is so helpful. He goes over the advantages of using Bluehost, and discusses some of its features. There is also a link for a discounted monthly price for hosting services. I didn't realize that hosting my own site could be that inexpensive. Actually, I knew pretty much nothing about hosting my own site before I watched this video. If you are thinking about switching to a self-hosted domain, but you have no idea where to begin, this video would be a good starting  point.




No comments: