Friday, October 12, 2012

I'm Thankful for Couch25K



(It's technically Friday, but I'm still doing my Thankful Thursday post!)

Should I assume that pretty much everyone knows about Couch25K? Just in case, let me tell you a little bit about it. Couch25K basically helps people start running. It takes non-runners literally from the couch to being able to run a 5K. You start with a five-minute warm-up, and then you take turns walking and running, and finally you end with a five-minute cool down. In the beginning, you walk for one and a half minutes, run for one minute - back and forth for about 20 minutes. Gradually, the time spent running is increased in small increments, with the goal that when the program is over, you'll be capable of running a 5K. What the app does (I use the free version, and it's on my iPod) is give you cues. It tells you when it's time to start running or walking. You can listen to music while the app is running, and when it's time to switch, the voice will talk to you right over the music.This week I listened to a Tony Robbins audio book while doing it, and it was kind of cool working out and listening to a motivational speaker at the same time.

C25K
From start to finish, C25K is designed to last eight weeks. In the beginning, the sessions are 30 minutes, and ultimately, by the time you get to the end of the eighth week, it lasts 40 minutes. I tried starting C25K in the summer, but I couldn't get into it running outside. Now I'm going to the gym and doing it on the treadmill, which I much prefer. Maybe once I'm a real bonafide runner I'll learn to appreciate running outdoors.

I'm thankful that I finished week 2/day 2 this morning. I cannot emphasize how much it astounds me that I've been able to run at all. I was one of those kids who could never, and I mean never, run in gym class. I couldn't breathe, I'd get all wheezy, my sides would hurt something awful. I'm no longer asthmatic like I use to be, and I'm sure that helps. But Couch25K is really phenomenal for easing non-runners into running. 

I have a goal, on  my Life List, to run a 5K. When I put it on my list, to be honest it seemed impossible. I don't know if I actually believed I would ever be able to do it. But now, with the help of C25K, I am confident that I will be able to do it! I got kind of a late start, so I don't know whether I'll be able to do the 5K this year. Although...I have six weeks left, and that would take me to Thanksgiving week. Do I want to run outside in the cold? Hmmm. If you know of a 5K in the Metro Detroit area during the last two weeks of November, please share! I'll think about it...

I'm thankful for the technology that is helping me to meet my goals. I'm thankful for the C25K app. I'm thankful for my iPod that is the platform for C25K. I'm thankful for treadmills that tell me how fast I'm going, how far I've walked, and how many calories I've burned, and allows me to add an incline to my workout. I'm thankful for my Kindle, which I read while I'm on the treadmill. I can choose from any of the many books I have stored. I'm thankful for the Tony Robbins audio book I downloaded online (thanks to Smiley360) and was able to transfer onto my iPod.

Isn't technology beautiful?

No comments: