Thursday, September 27, 2012

Meeting People is Easier in the Digital Age



Since Chris and I met and started dating way back in high school, I've never had to deal with the whole dating scene very much. I haven't been on a date with anyone else since I was 17 years old. Sometimes I think that is crazy, especially when it strikes me that Bethany will be 17 in just six short years. I can't imagine my daughter finding her life mate in that short amount of time. How will my baby girl possibly be capable, in six years time, of choosing the man she wants to spend the rest of her life with? No way!

I don't envy people in the dating game, that's for sure. But at least today there are options for meeting potential partners that don't involve bars or your mother setting you up with her dentist's nephew. Years ago it was considered "shocking" to admit that you found your spouse or significant other online, but now it's totally commonplace. Websites like www.bayoom.com help make the match-making process as easy and painless as possible. They do some of the leg work for you by providing a pool of potential partners or friends.

One great thing about bayoom is that it's free. Free trumps anything in my book! It is a social networking community where users can view pictures and profiles, participate in icebreakers, and exchange messages with anyone of interest. Users can see who viewed their profile, see a list of other members who might be of interest to them, or use detailed search criteria, including location, to find that special someone.

Bayoom is a discrete community with a closed members only area which is not even indexed by Google. Since I would consider this type of activity to be highly personal and private, that would be important to me if I were someone using a site like bayoom to meet people. Users also have the ability to change or completely delete any of their profile information at any time, leaving no traces behind.

Do you have a funny story about how you met your significant other? I'd love to hear about it in the comments or on my Facebook page!


No comments: