Monday, September 10, 2012

Rolling with the Back to School Mayhem

It's the eve of the first full week of school. Last week was insane, and I somehow let myself believe that this week would be way better. Then I looked at my calendar. Yikes. We're adding some craziness this week with Lucy's birthday, Mattie starting preschool, basketball registration, etc. Plus Mattie is sick (still!) and I'm hoping we get that worked out so she can make it to her first day of school!

I'm trying to stay calm, which isn't always easy for me. I like to be all Zen and laid back, but the truth is that I feel on the verge of hyper-ventilating when I begin doubting whether I'll be able to accomplish everything that has to get done. I want to enjoy this school year and not just survive it!

I know school is important, but I can't help but feel that it's interrupting our lives and keeping us from doing things we really want to do. I'm not one of those moms breaking out the bubbly because the kids are back in school. I get it, and I don't judge. I do appreciate the quiet around the house and the one-on-one time with Mattie. I'll admit, it's nice. I'm glad the kids are learning something and spending time with friends. But I just looked at the weather for the week and what I'd like to be doing is taking the kids swimming at my father-in-law's every day. I'd also like to not be setting my alarm.

What I need to do is stay organized, stay on top of things, keep a good attitude, and enjoy September as much as I enjoyed August. It's different, but different is good. Adjustment periods are always a little rough, but there's no need to freak out. We had a good, fun weekend, and that's just the sort of thing I need to keep me going. I also need to make sure I continue making time for myself; working out, seeing my friends, working on this here blog. But I also have to watch myself, because when I find myself over-extended, I tend to find myself sick shortly thereafter.

Calm. Deep breaths. Slow down. Smile. Laugh. Sleep. This might be my magic formula.

I hope your back to school is off to a great start!

Having fun with family & friends at our church picnic

No comments: