Saturday, June 16, 2012

A Fresh Look

The fact that my kitchen needs a makeover is no secret. It looks like it's stuck in a time warp from another decade. There are so many things I'd love to do with it, starting with gutting the whole thing. But if that's not an option, I'll settle for:
  • New counter tops
  • A new sink and faucet
  • Re-stained cabinets with new hardware
  • New oven, microwave, and fridge
  • Window treatments on the windows that have been bare for three years now
The counter tops are blue. I don't think I need to provide any further explanation. They're just not my cup of tea. At all. And if I'm going to get those replaced, I might is well replace the sink as well, which is white porcelain and a total pain to clean, not to mention way too small. Then there's the accompanying faucet, which is basic and boring. I've never liked the color of the cabinets, nor do I care for the dated brass hardware that adorns them. Our built-in microwave has been serving as a bread box ever since it died, over a year ago. The oven doesn't match the other appliances, and the stove top is ridiculously difficult to keep clean. And the fridge got really banged up when we moved, plus it's just not big enough for our family. Luckily our neighbors aren't right on top of us, what with the naked windows and all.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of look I'd like to go for in the kitchen, just vastly different from what we have now! To start with, we already have a nice new sink ready to be installed -just as soon as we get around to picking out new counter tops. There are so many different types of faucets to choose from, it's enough to make my head spin. I want something that looks nicer and is more utilitarian, like a 12 inch spout reach kitchen faucet. That would make doing dishes a little easier.

Changing the lighting in our kitchen would really give the room a new look. Right now we have a ceiling fan, which is okay. But something more dramatic might be a nice change. I've seen chandeliers that look like candles. That would definitely be something different. A look like that would be more common in a dining room setting, but I love seeing chandeliers in more unexpected places as well.

Our bedroom needs an overhaul too. Maybe that would be an easier room to start with! It needs some organization, a little flair, and maybe some new bedding. One type to look into is faux silk collection bedding. Finding just the right set is no easy task. Nonetheless, a bedroom makeover would definitely be less complicated than a kitchen makeover.

If you could choose one room to re-decorate in your home, which room would it be?

This post is brought to you by Become: Shopping Your Way.

No comments: