Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Star Wars Princess Leia Costume Review



When I first met Chris, back in high school, he had an entire bedroom (across the hall from his actual bedroom) dedicated to Star Wars. It had a space mural on the wall (the kind made from wallpaper), a Star Wars bedspread covering the Star wars sheets on the bed, Star Wars posters on the walls, and shelves full of Star Wars toys and figures. My knowledge at that time of the George Lucas empire was quite negligible, but considering that this fanaticism is what I married into, I've since learned a thing or two. I mean, I've (more or less) seen all the movies at least. I know Darth Vader from Darth Maul. I can wield a plastic light saber with the best of them. I may not be a whiz, but I have a basic understanding of the stories and the Star Wars characters. Never mind that my nine-year old son surpassed me in Star Wars trivia about seven years ago.

Before we became parents, and maybe even before we were married, Chris and I went to my Grandma's house one Halloween to pass out candy one year. We dressed up as Princess Leia and Han Solo, with costumes we put together from thrift store finds. Star Wars theme music played from a CD player we set up in the window. That was one of the best Halloweens of my adult life.

Now that we have kids who love to dress up, I appreciate that we can buy them Star Wars costumes without having to rummage through half a dozen resale shops to find all the right pieces. And they've come a long way since the plastic apron-like character costumes I remember many of my friends wearing back in the 80s.

When I was offered the opportunity to try out a Star Wars costume from WholesaleCostumeClub.com, I couldn't help but think, "how perfect!" I will admit, I was sorely tempted to choose a costume for myself to review, but instead I decided to be nice and get a Princess Leia one for Lucy. She couldn't wait to try it on as soon as it was delivered. As you can see from the pictures, she had a great time running around the yard in her new costume.





























The girls Princess Leia costume consists of three pieces: the long white dress, a belt that ties around the waist, and a wig. Please note that the gun pictured above does not come with the costume. No weapons come with it. The dress is made of polyester, and reminds me a little of a table cloth. It is softer than I was expecting it to be. The wig, with the classic Leia buns, is nice and stretchy and went on easily. For Halloween I will bobby pin it in place, to be sure it doesn't go anywhere, but even without bobby pins it felt pretty secure.

I followed the size chart on the website when ordering, and went with a size Medium, 8-10. Lucy is 5 and a half and quite tall. The dress was almost too long for her, but with the belt on, it worked out perfectly. After tying on the belt, I pulled some of the dress up at the waist to shorten it a bit.

My favorite part of the costume is undoubtedly the wig. The color is a tad darker than I expected, but all in all the wig adds a nice authentic look to the costume. We use to have Princess Leia buns that were on a headband. They were really heavy and awkward, and never wanted to stay on. This wig works out much better, and seems to be a lot more comfortable as well. 

Halloween 2012: 1 costume down, 3 to go. In the meantime, may the force be with you.


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments: