Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sum-Sum-Summertime

The first week of summer break is behind us. I'm feeling kind of, well, less over-joyed than I thought I would be feeling. My immediate sensation, the day after school let out, was of a great weight being lifted from my shoulders. I guess I still feel that, but I also feel like it's not long enough! Break just started and already I want more. We have so much going on, which I love. But it also puts this pressure on me, like there is no way I'm going to get to do everything I want to do this summer. Not even close. Then before we know it, we'll be back to school again.

This past week has been crazy with all kinds of stuff. Friends and sleepovers and chauffeuring and meetings and doctor appointments and phone calls. There is no end in sight. Carefree days of summer? Hmph, not hardly. We have someplace to be just about every single day. I have to-do lists running through my head 24/7 -yes, even in my sleep! 

My head is buzzing and it won't go, in case you don't know.

I spend my life anticipating summertime. That's kind of sad, and I'm working on living in the moment more. But summer is my season, without a doubt. I love the warmth and the freedom. I love bare feet, sleeping in, and eating outside. I love swimming and the smell of sunscreen and relaxed bedtimes for the kids. I love bathing suits and beach towels hanging on the gate and more time with my kids. My love for summer knows no bounds.

This year is a little different. It's more of a transition, since three of my kids were in school all day. I was getting pretty used to spending my days in relative quiet, with just Mattie. Now my house is loud pretty much all the time. Like LOUD. People are talking to me, or at me, all the time, usually more than one at a time. The kids want to spend more time with their friends, which means things are not as simple as they used to be.

So. I'm not really sure why, but I don't feel quite myself and I don't feel quite YAY! happy. I am still more than glad that summer break is here. And I have tons of great stuff to look forward to. We will have a fabulous summer. I need to work on thinking less in terms of AFTER_____________, then I'll be happy/relaxed/whatever. For example, dance recitals are next weekend, and after that I can have fun. No, no, no! There is a whole week between now and then, and despite parties, basketball camp, dress rehearsal, and dance recitals, we are going to have a good week! We are going to enjoy this 2nd week of summer break, even though it's going to be busy, maybe even hectic.

Are you gung-ho thrilled for summer break? Or are you going through a little bit of a transition period too? I'll be fine, I just need to I don't know what. But yeah, it's all good.

No comments: