Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Take Good Care of Yourself

I've been blessed with pretty darn good health throughout my adult years. Besides during pregnancy, I've hardly needed to see a doctor since high school. Like most people, I hate doctor visits, so of course I consider it a very good thing that I have had little need for them. Plus there's the fact that since I became a mom, almost 11 years ago, my own needs have slipped further and further down my list of priorities. Lucky for me I've been healthy, because things like regular check-ups were just not something I made time for.

Then about a year and a half ago it became clear that I had some medical issues that needed my attention. Suddenly I was in a position where I had to make myself a priority, which for some reason did not come naturally to me. Why is it that us moms tend to brush our own needs under the rug? Another thing my issues brought to my attention and made very clear is that it's a lot easier dealing with these things when you have medical coverage. There are many Michigan plans available, as well as plans for residents of other states, for anyone not fortunate enough to have a job that offers health insurance. Click here for further information. This never really seemed all that important before, when I just took my good health for granted, but now it seems more important than ever. There is only so much information one can gather from websites like MayoClinic.com before seeing a real live medical professional becomes essential.

Also, I'm not getting any younger, and the older I get the more likely I am to have even more health issues. I've been trying hard to take better care of myself by eating better and exercising more, and that's a huge step in the right direction. As busy as I am taking care of my family and dealing with everyday life, I have to make sure I remember to take the time and make the effort to keep myself high up on my priority list.

No comments: