Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Whatever Happened to "I Don't Want to Grow Up?"


Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it. ~ Ferris Bueller

I sent three kids off to school today. I can't believe I am now the parent of a fifth grader (middle school next year!), a third grader, and a kindergartner. Even though no one slept well last night (with the exception of Lucy), everyone was up and at 'em this morning. I even - gasp! - made breakfast, one that actually involved the oven. We got to school with time to spare. Mathilda didn't know what to think as, one by one, Bethany, Connor, and Lucy disappeared into their respective lines to go into school. But three kids were smiling and happy to start the new year. This will be our only year having three kids in the same school.

This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I must admit it was nice to go home with Mattie to a quiet house. I miss summer already, but I will enjoy my time with my little stinker. Everyone had a half day, and after a quick lunch at home we went to hang out at a friend's house for a couple hours. The kids and I met Chris's mom and step-dad for dinner at a local Mexican restaurant for Taco Tuesday, and then had to run to the store for a few things. It was a long day, and I was dragging all day long. I need to either adopt a caffeine habit or start going to bed earlier.

Nothing is as far away as one minute ago. ~ Jim Bishop

I do seem to have a bit of a problem on my hands. Lucy is still ticked that I'll be picking her up before lunch every day. She says she is ready to stay at school all day long. This makes me so sad. I told her I wanted her to get used to getting up early every morning and going to school every day, and then we'll discuss switching her to full day. She didn't like my answer. Originally Chris and I thought we'd probably switch her to full day after Christmas. I have a feeling it is going to be much sooner than that. Why did she have to grow up so fast? I remember so well when Bethany was in kindergarten and Lucy was a newborn. Now Bethany is finishing elementary school while Lucy is just beginning.


Darn the wheel of the world!  Why must it continually turn over?  Where is the reverse gear?  ~ Jack London





No comments: