Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fantasy Destination: Virginia Beach

There are so many places I want to visit in the world. Since anything more than local travel is difficult for me at the moment, I thought it would be fun to start writing about destinations that I'd like to go to someday, imagining everything I'd like to do and see. I'm going to start off with Virginia Beach. Although it's out of my reach this year, it's not so far away that it's hard to imagine ever visiting. In fact, I could definitely see my family vacationing in Virginia Beach...

As far as I'm concerned, any vacation involving the beach is a good vacation. Here are 10 reasons why I'd like to experience a Virginia Beach vacation, in no particular order.
  1. To sit on the beach for hours. That's all. Just relax on a lounge chair with a book and a cool drink, take a refreshing dip in the ocean every now and then, stick my feet in the sand, watch my kids exploring, and take a break from my sublime relaxation once in awhile to build sand castles with them. 
  2. To visit Edgar Cayce's Association for Research and Enlightenment (A.R.E.). This place sounds like a kind of library/research facility where guests can browse book, watch films, and listen to lectures on topics like holistic healing, spirituality, dreams, and the like. In other words, right up my alley. Edgar Cayce was a renowned psychic, and I think it would be incredibly interesting to spend an afternoon checking out his works.
  3. To hang out on the boardwalk. Stop for lunch, browse in shops, see live performances, watch fireworks, let the kids go on some carnival rides...sounds like fun to me!
  4. To see some dolphins. I would love to go on a dolphin watching boat tour and see dolphins up close. If I could maybe be brave enough, I'd really enjoy a dolphin kayak tour to see them even closer up.
  5. To go to the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center. I love aquariums, and we don't have any nearby. This one looks like it has tons of awesome exhibits, like the Indonesian Volcanic Island. 
  6. People watching. Vacationing in touristy areas makes for great people watching. I think it would be fun to just sit on the beach, walk along the boardwalk, explore the attractions, and watch all the other people and families enjoying themselves, or letting their drama unfold around them in public.
  7. To climb a lighthouse. I'd like to visit Old Cape Henry Lighthouse, climb to the top, and enjoy the view.
  8. To see some cool statues, like the one of Neptune.
  9. To check out the Military Aviation Museum. For some reason, my kids seem to be particularly enthralled with museums having to do with anything military, especially if there is big equipment on display like tanks or airplanes. So I think this museum would be a must see for our family.
  10. Location, location, location. Virginia Beach is far enough away to seem like we're in a different world, but close enough that we could do the drive in one (grueling) day. That is important, especially when traveling with kids.
Someday when I actually do get a chance to vacation in Virginia Beach, I will have this list to consult. I'm sure I'll find many more items to add to it. See you sometime, Virginia Beach...


Have you ever been to Virginia Beach? Was it as awesome as it looks in pictures?

Disclaimer: 
I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Virginia Beach Tourism blogging program, for a gift card worth $40. For more information on how you can participate, click here.



 

No comments: