Friday, July 1, 2011

31 Days of No T.V.

Piled in our bed, enjoying their last night of t.v.
Today is the first day of our month without television. I've been thinking about doing something like this ever since Chris's cousin told us her family was going t.v. free for a year...and that was a few years ago. This ban does not apply to grown-ups, and honestly I rarely watch t.v. But two of my favorite shows just came back on for the summer (True Blood and Weeds) and no I am not delaying gratification until August. Hypocrite? Whatever.

I will not be crazy when the kids are at friends' houses...the ban applies to our home only. We will do some family movie nights. We might even do one this evening, as we have a few extra kids for the whole day, and I may need to sedate them by dinner time. But what I'm trying to avoid is the mind numbing, zombie inducing endless channel surfing that tends to happen on long days with no school to break up the time. I want them to spend more time outside, more time reading and playing games...finding stuff to do and working their way through boredom instead of automatically turning to the television when they don't know what else to do. We'll see if they survive...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes for you. One of our neighbors doesn't even have a T.V. and my kids just go on and on about how they couldn't stand that.

I never used to watch T.V. and could happily have gone without it. But now that I'm sick, it's all I do lol.

Good luck with your T.V.-free month!
Christina

P.S. Visiting from voiceBoks!

alyaia75 said...

Thanks Christina! I'll need all the luck I can get, lol!