Sunday, November 4, 2012

30 Days of Thankful: Day 4



Day 4  As a kid, I remember long, aching hours of boredom. There were times, so many times, that I just wanted to cry, or did cry, out of loneliness and mind-numbing boredom. I read a lot, and probably saw every episode ever made of The Brady Bunch, Leave it to Beaver, Bewitched, Laverne and Shirley, Happy Days, and oh so many more. [Side note: And I thought my kids watched a lot of TV. Yikes!] Although I had many friends, and was fairly adept at entertaining myself, I could not seem to avoid the doldrums from time to time.

Now that I'm a grown-up, I don't have time to be bored. I have too much to do, all the time. But most of what I'm doing on a day to day basis is mundane stuff like driving kids to dance, doing endless loads of laundry, and facing the never-ending stream of dishes going in and out of my sink. I make an effort to carve out time for this blog, working out, and time with family (including Chris and the kids) and friends. This doesn't leave much time or energy for projects and organization.

When we moved into this house three and a half years ago, I was five days away from giving birth to our fourth child. That time of my life was a bonafide whirlwind. What I'm basically getting at here, in a super long winded way, is that, while we did our best to get comfy and settled at that time, we never got really organized.  And the everyday busyness of life tends to get in the way of completing anything "extra" around here.

There have been several times over the past few years when Chris and I got our butts in gear and got a whole bunch done in our quest for organization. And then everyday life gets in the way, we get sidetracked, and our projects linger on the outskirts of our consciousness until next time. Right now, we are both ON, and I am so thankful for these times when we both experience a burst of motivation that helps push us to work even harder to get things done.We are full of ideas and working on several projects around the house that will help make our home more comfortable and orderly. We have been re-arranging, pulling boxes out of closets that haven't seen the light of day in over three years, and trying our best to figure out the best use of space in this house. I am so thankful for the rare gift of motivation for organization!



No comments: