Monday, November 26, 2012

Repurposed Halloween Candy

Don't tell me I'm the only one who still has some lingering Halloween candy laying around the house? I know I'm not, and I know that you're probably wishing you had sold it to the local dentist's buy-back program when you had the chance. For weeks our bowl shamelessly graced the kitchen counter, until Chris had the decency to bag up the dregs and toss them in the pantry. I've repeatedly vowed to throw it out - even BEFORE all the good stuff was long gone - but I haven't done it yet. I have tossed a handful here and there, carefully burying it in the trash to avoid unwanted confrontation with the little people of the house, and the rest is going soon. Tomorrow? Sounds good.

If you, like me, have an aversion to throwing out perfectly good (fill in the blank), then here are a few ideas for what to do with your leftover Halloween candy.

  • Movie snacks  I hid the small bags of M&Ms in the cupboard for future visits to the movie theater. Skittles, Reese's Pieces, and anything else that's bite size & in a bag would also be good choices for the movie stash.
  • Baking needs The Hershey bars went into my baking cupboard. I can shred them or chop them up as cookie add-ins or cake toppings.
  • School lunches Chips, pretzels, fruit snacks, and Rice Krispy Treats were used as special lunch box treats. 
  • Freeze it I put the mini Snickers and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups on cookie sheets and froze them. When they were good and frozen, I took them out (a little at a time to avoid melting), chopped them up, and put them back in the freezer. They can be used for ice cream sundae toppings or for baking.
  • Frosting  I'll admit I haven't yet been brave enough to try this, but I have found recipes for Laffy Taffy frosting while browsing the internet. If you have tried this, let me know! I'd love to know if it's worth making.
  • Make cookies I decided to add some of my frozen chopped up Reese's Peanut Butter Cups to a batch of peanut butter cookies. They were a big hit!  
Do you have something different to do with your Halloween candy? And by the way, I'm really glad the good stuff is now gone and I can get on with my mostly candy-free existence!

For my Peanut Butter Cup peanut butter cookies, I just followed the recipe on the Crisco package and stirred about 1 3/4 cups of chopped, frozen peanut butter cups into the dough. I'm sure this would work with any peanut butter cookie recipe.

Frozen chopped up Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Ready to be mixed into the dough

Ready to go to the cookie sheets

The delicious finished product
Crisco peanut butter cookie recipe


No comments: