Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Baking With Pam

As a member of Smiley360, I was given the opportunity to review PAM cooking spray. If you want to try PAM, click this link for a coupon - but hurry, you have to print it by November 15 and use it by November 30.


Last week I got my reviewer's package in the mail. This is what was in it:

  • Pyrex baking dish
  • Spatula
  • Coupon for a FREE can of Hunt's tomatoes
  • Coupon for a FREE can of PAM
Are you beginning to understand why I love delivery people so much? Getting awesome freebies like this is way fun! I mentioned Smiley360 a couple weeks ago in a post about how to get rad free stuff. You don't have to be a blogger to sign up, in case you're interested.


Anyway, onto my review. I went to Kroger to redeem my coupon, and I chose PAM no-stick baking spray, made with real flour. We use quite a bit of cooking spray, and generally I buy the store brand because it's cheapest and I didn't think there was much difference.


We were having some company for dinner on  Halloween, so I decided I'd make a German apple cake for dessert. This is a recipe from Chris's mom, and I've been making it for years. I have no idea where she got it, but it's sort of one of her signature desserts. It's simple and delicious.


German Apple Cake
2/3 cup oil
1.5 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
4 cups peeled and sliced apples (4-5 apples)

~~~~~~~~~

Heat oven to 350
Grease & flour 9x13 pan
Mix everything up in 1 bowl and spoon it into the baking dish
Bake 45 minutes

Note that the finished product is pretty lumpy. This is a great fall recipe, or good for anytime you have extra apples to use up. There are no fancy or complicated ingredients, just stuff you probably already have on hand.

Instead of greasing and flouring, I used my new can of PAM. Flouring is kind of a messy pain, so it's nice to be able to just spray and kill two birds with one stone. The PAM comes out with a lot of force so make sure you hold the can a good 6 inches from your surface that's being sprayed. Also, I'm used to pushing no-stick spray nozzles forward, but for this one you have to push straight down on it. It took me a minute for this to register, but then I'll be the first to admit that I have perpetual Mom Brain.

The verdict is that I'm totally sold. Wow. I cut up the cake and each piece came out easily, without half of it sticking to the pan. Usually I'm left with a mess and I have to soak the pan and tediously scrape out the dregs. I can't wait to try PAM baking spray on my baking sheets when I'm making cookies. I have to admit, I think I may become a name brand convert for this item. 


In exchange for providing a review, I was gifted the Pyrex pan, the spatula, the coupon for a FREE can of tomatoes, and the coupon for the FREE PAM. I was not compensated in any other way, and all other opinions and views expressed here are 100% my own. 

No comments: