Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Kitchen Talk

I'm not a big collector of small kitchen appliances and gadgets. I don't know, it all just seems to be a little too complex for my simple needs. There are a few things I use on a daily basis,like my toaster oven and my Magic Bullet, two things I can't live without. I use my toaster oven as a toaster, but also to heat things up. Our built-in microwave started sparking every time we used it, so it's been unplugged and unused for a really long time. There's a micro in the basement, but I have no inclination to go downstairs each time I want to warm something up. The Magic Bullet I use to make my daily smoothies. I also use my blender from time to time to make milkshakes. 

And there are a couple other kitchen gadgets I used to have and would like to have again - like a hand mixer and a waffle iron. Have you ever tried to make cheesecake without an electric hand mixer? I've done it several times now and trust me, it ain't easy. I keep meaning to buy a new one but then I forget until I'm at home getting ready to make a cheesecake at like 10 o'clock at night. And Bethany and her friend killed my waffle iron, so I keep waiting for her to replace it. Maybe she'll get me one for Christmas. Hint, hint. I think our deep fryer died too, but that's okay. Everything fried is delicious, but the fact that it died is evidence that if may have been getting used a little too often. I'm not certain that it's a total goner, and it's still taking up half a cupboard, but I seem to remember it not working well last time we had it out.

Chris and I have kicked around buying a juicer, but we're not sure. Lots of recipes seem to call for a food processor, but I seem to manage to get by without one. That might be kind of cool to have though. Maybe if the fryer really is dead, a food processor could take its place. I'd like a nice solid name brand, but there's the worry of something going wrong with it after you just paid a small fortune for it. Luckily there are places online where you can order things like Kitchenaid food processor parts. This is just one more way the internet has changed life for the better. I bet it used to be impossible to find lots of things, and now anyone can just go online and search Google or Amazon or eBay, and voila! There it is!


Do you have any kitchen gadgets or small appliances you just can't live without out? If you have a food processor, was it a good investment and what do you use it for? What about a juicer? If you have one, would you recommend buying one?

No comments: