Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Research Subject

This past weekend, Bethany had an MRI. Don't worry, she's fine. I've already fielded inquiries from concerned parents of her friends who heard it through the grapevine that Bethany was having this procedure done, but whose children forgot to mention that it was for a research study. There was not a lab coat in sight, just medical students and the guy in charge of the MRI machine itself.

For both of us, it was a learning experience to see how medical research is conducted behind the scenes. Since the research is regarding how children's brains react emotionally, it was an opportunity for Bethany to indirectly help properly treat kids with emotional disorders in the future. Plus she got to see how some things work in the hospital, without being in the potentially frightening position of needing an MRI. Bethany had to lie perfectly still for 70 minutes, alternately watching Tangled and playing boring games that required only the slightest movement of one hand. I got to read a book for an hour straight while I waited, which was quite nice. Everybody was really nice, and they were impressed with how well Bethany focused on staying still and correctly completing the tasks in the "game". Soon she'll receive one or two choice portraits of her brain, not your usual show and tell fare.


I couldn't help but think about earlier this year, when I had a medical scare and very much wanted an MRI myself to quell my fears. I never did get one, and while as I was that close to the MRI machine with Bethany, I thought to myself, too bad I can't just hop in there and have my own MRI too...


I've done other medical research studies in the past, like that time Chris and I let ourselves get ruthlessly poked and prodded, as well as helping out Masters level psych students more than once. I wouldn't have let Bethany do anything that would hurt her (obviously), so this was a good opportunity for her to participate in a research study without any scary amateurs coming at her with menacing needles.


Have you ever taken part in a research study?


This post is brought to you by your friends at http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/. Check them out for all of your medical attire needs.

No comments: