Monday, November 7, 2011

Sleep Away Camp

It was this time of year when I went away to camp with my 5th grade class. I think every single fifth grader went, at least that's how I remember it, and we were gone for a whole week. Each cabin was full of bunk beds and one high school student camp counselor. The restrooms were in a separate building and it was freezing cold and scary walking through the dark woods at night to use the bathroom. Every day we did stuff like hiking, canoeing, horseback riding and learning wilderness survival skills. But the best part was being with my friends for that week, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and everything in between.

Next fall, when Bethany is in 6th grade, she'll have a similar camping experience. I'm pretty sure she'll love it too. She wants to be with her friends all the time as it is, and she loves the outdoors. Plus she's never really been a kid who gets homesick. I've heard from other parents that we'll have an opportunity to start fundraising for sixth grade camp sometime after Christmas.

I've thought about sending the kids to summer camp, but the only way I would do it is if they had a really good friend to go along with them. That's the great thing about going with school. But during the summer camp would probably be more fun, and there are so many options, such as summer music camp. Chris went to camp when he was a kid and he absolutely hated it. But he didn't have a good friend with him, and I truly think that makes all the difference in the world. Although Bethany is pretty out-going, so she would probably make friends either way. We'll see how she does at sixth grade camp, and then take it from there.

Have you ever gone to camp? Did you love it or hate it?

No comments: