Thursday, November 10, 2011

November Thankful #10

In honor of Thanksgiving, I'm doing daily thankful posts. I'd love it if you'd join me by commenting here or on MichiGal's Facebook page.


November 10



Today I'm thankful for friends. I write about my friends all the time because they are awesome and I am blessed. Some of my friends I've had for a long time. Some I haven't known for that long. Some I've lost track of over the years and we just communicate via Facebook these days.

My friend Julie P. and I have been friends since the fourth grade. We lived two blocks away from each other for three years, both in corner houses, so our moms could watch us walking back and forth. Back in June I stood up in her wedding, and she is Connor's godmother. Julie and I don't see each other often, but she is the kind of friend I know will always be there, even if we don't talk for three or six months at a time.

Julie F. and I met in middle school choir in the seventh grade. We went away to college together and became moms just 6 months apart. She has three daughters, and they are all close in age to my kids. We get the kids together a couple times a year (we used to more often but now that they're older and involved with school, extracurricular activities, and their friends, it's not so easy anymore). We don't get out without kids too much anymore, but I wish we did. 

I met Shelly in high school. I can't remember which class or what the circumstances were. But we always had fun together. All these years later and we still see each other from time to time in real life. Again, I wish it was more often. 

Then I have some friends I met at the elementary school Bethany and Connor used to go to. We moved and switched schools a couple years ago, but I still see these ladies on a fairly regular basis. They've been a great support group for me as I stumble through the school years, wondering if I'm screwing my kids up with every single decision and judgement call. Our kids are friends, which makes get togethers easy and fun. We'll all meet up at a park or something and let the kids play while we mommies chit chat. And once in awhile we get some grown up time too, which is even more fun.

At the kids' new school I have a great friend, Chris. We are still getting to know each other and haven't really hung out without kids in tow. But it's great to have someone to talk school with who knows what I'm talking about. Plus I know our kids will be in school together for a long time, and I look forward to our friendship growing.

Each of my friends adds something special and unique to my life. We laugh together, we have someone to talk to in good times and bad. We Zumba together and walk together and hang out in Port Austin together and drink Starbucks together and take our kids to fun places together. We talk about kids and movies and books and school and everything else.

Just today I had breakfast with my friends Angela and Amy. We had a delicious meal (thanks again, Angela) and talked while our little ones, who aren't in school yet, played together. Then I left to pick Lucy up from school and my friend Tina came over for a little visit. Her son is starting floor hockey with Connor, and I can't wait to chat with her for a whole hour every week while the boys play. 

Sometimes, in our busy lives, it's hard to carve out friend time. But I'm a happier person when I spend time with my friends, so I'm going to continue to make it a priority. 

1 comment:

Tina Marie said...

:) You just gave me the biggest smile! So much of what you wrote are things I too am thankful for!